The site of Lucus Feroniae lies 28km north of Rome, close to Capena. Discovered in 1953, excavations by the Soprintendenza Archeologican brought to light a major federal sanctuary, frequented not only by Faliscans, but by Etruscans, Latins and Sabines. Following the sacking of the site by Hannibal in 221 BC and then again in the Sullan age, by the 1st century BC the Colonia Iulia Felix Lucus Feroniae had been established.
Building upon the earlier study of Roman Urbanism in the Tiber Valley, conducted as part of the Roman Towns project, the BSR has undertaken a number of seasons of geophysical prospection. Now, together with the Soprintendenza Archeologia, Belle Arti e Paesaggio per l’area metropolitana di Roma, la Provincia di Viterbo e l’Etruria Meridionale, Sapienza Università di Roma and the Università degli Studi di Pavia a new programme of research has commenced.